Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Away At Camp

When I hear friends talk about how their lives have been when their kids move out of the house for college, I couldn't relate. I say to myself that it'll be a few more years before it happens, so I shouldn't be thinking about it just yet. But when it happens, it hits you, and the feeling is different.

For five days, my wife and I were empty-nesters, if you can call it that. It was weird.

Our son went to a science camp somewhere in the North Bay. Along with 8th graders from two other Catholic schools, they ventured off in the wilderness near Sonoma. Although our son has gone to a similar camp when he was in 6th grade, I felt different this time around. And so did my wife. Somehow, this hit us more.

For a few days, the house was quiet. No one slouching on the coach, with a laptop across the lap. No one with an ipod and an earphone while watching TV. No one to remind of to drink milk or to take a quick shower. No one to wake up in the morning to go to school or to pick up from school. No one to take to basketball practice or to check the homework with. No one to have a conversation with about school during dinner time. Just me and the wife.

It really felt different.

I normally cook dinner during weekdays. The past five days, we dined out. I guess, for a change of atmosphere. To drown out the silence. To keep our minds preoccupied with other things. We even slept earlier than usual.

Is this a preview of what is to come? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Culturally, the Filipino family is tight-knit, more than its Western counterparts. I went to college and worked, and still lived with my parents. And there are  those who remained even after marriage. But as we live in this country, we have to adapt. And that reality may, at times, be quite difficult to accept, at least, initially.

I know my son is still in 8th grade, and there are a few more years before he really leaves for college. That's probably enough time to prepare and to get used to this eventuality. But will I really be prepared? Will my wife be able to let go? In the meantime, there is still another phase of adolescent life that he has yet to experience -- high school. I know he will enjoy it, like most of us did.

The five days seemed like an eternity. But we're glad he's back. And so is the routine.

"How was school today?"


No comments:

Post a Comment