Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Interest in Biking

With spring in the air (feels more like summer though), everyone seems to be getting into more outdoor activities than they normally do. Well, that's what I observe, or I just wasn't paying too much attention. One thing I know, at least in my family, it is true. Suddenly, there is a great interest in biking.

My Specialized Roubaix
Let's just say I started it all. Mine was primarily for health reasons. I needed to get my blood flowing and my heart pumping more than it is right now. Running was out of the question, and walking was the next best thing. But walking was a bit too boring, and it didn't give me too many sights to see. After doing some reading, I realized that biking is a better alternative. It just doesn't get the heart going, but it is also has less impact on the (aging) joints, plus you get to see more sights and enjoy the fresh air.

Of all the types of biking, I chose road biking, or cycling, which is the preferred term. Don't ask me why. I just don't see myself trekking to some off-road trail and riding through dirt and mud. Not me. So the next alternative, and probably the most complicated, is road cycling. At least, I don't need to drive somewhere to ride. I can just open my garage door, and off I go. But there is more to it.
James' Specialized Crosstrail

Once I'm out, my next concern is being and staying safe on the road. As you know, there are a hundred and one maniacs on the streets, and you can never sure. I think that the bike lane is a guide, and it won't protect you from any of these folks. As experience riders would tell you, always assume that the driver DOES NOT see you, so always be aware and be on the defensive. And, follow all road rules, like you would as a driver. Yes, sir!

But first, I must make time and ride. Ain't going to help me if I don't get that Specialized Roubaix on the road. I need to test its strength and durability, and whatever else its maker has promised it to be. I know I have a few more grams to shed to help ease my pedaling, and make it a little more pleasing for others to look at in those spandex and body-huggings jerseys. I need to get going, or nothing will happen.

Wife's Specialized Vita
My son, James, caught the bug, too. At first, he wasn't into it. Never liked it. He'd rather skateboard. There was the scooter, too. As a matter of fact, he wanted me to get him one because his old one broke. I told him I wasn't getting him any, but if he would ride a bike, I would drop everything and go get him one.

It took a while to convince him to let go of the skateboard and the scooter. He was still reluctant about riding a bike. I guess because of his last experience at Santa Barbara, where he fell off the paved trail off the beach. Then, one Saturday, he rode a borrowed bike and did 22 miles. From then on, he was hooked. Of course, my wife got into the action as well.  I teased her that her ol' Townie won't do her any good if she wanted to do some serious riding. If you saw her Townie, all it needed was a basket in front of the handle bar and off you go to pick up flowers or do a little shopping at the farmer's market. The next thing I knew, we were on our way back to my now favorite shopping place, Bicycle Garage.
Townie

After walking around, she set her eyes on a matt black hybrid with purple hand grips. Very much a woman's
bike. She did a quick test ride and was convinced that it was for her. Meanwhile, James tried out a few bikes. First, a mountain bike. Then, a hybrid. He didn't like the mountain bike because it was heavy, and preferred the hybrid instead. He also chose a black bike. Her bike is a Specialized Vita, while his is a Specialized Crosstrail.

Thule 9002 Raceway 3-Bike Rack
In case we needed to bring the bikes elsewhere, I needed to get a bike rack. Since we don't have an SUV, getting the right bike rack for a sedan was quite tricky. After some research, I settled for a 3-bike Thule 9002 Raceway. And as a Prime member of Amazon, I got the rack in 2 days, shipped free. I mounted this beast (this rack is quite big) by the trunk of my car, and hauled the heavy Townie to Bicycle Garage for a possible trade. My car survived and all was good. I think it's an excellent product.

At the moment, my only concern is where to park the bikes because my garage is FULL. In the meantime, all 3 blend quite well among the furniture in the living room.

Let's ride !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment