Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

After 3 Days, Still On Strike

The second day of the BART strike was yesterday, Tuesday. Both sides have not progressed, and negotiations appeared to have stalled.

For me, it was another uneventful day working from home. Without any distractions, it gave me a chance to work on a training deck on compensation for managers. I designed the original material back in 2007 as part of a larger development initiative for managers. That program ran for a few years until it got shelved 3 or so years ago. Personally, I still see the need to continuously administer such program as we get new managers into the organization, as well as a refresher for those who have been around for sometime.

Today was Day 3 of the strike, and like yesterday, no movement. I continued to work from home, as in the past 2 days. It was business as usual. I called into our 2-hour regular staff meeting at 9am, as did my co-workers who relied on BART to get to/from work. After that, I resumed my work on the training deck. My only complaint was the heat. For the past few days, the temperature had been unusually high, in the 90s. Since I don't have airconditioning in the house, it felt like hell (not that I know how it is down there).

Later in the evening, James and I grabbed a bite at Five Guys since the wife was out for a meeting. From there, we decided to watch a movie -- Monsters University. It was alright, but nothing beats the original Monsters, Inc.

Tomorrow is the Fourth of July holiday. I have no idea if BART and the unions will ever reach an agreement anytime soon. The last strike in 1997 lasted 6 days so this one might last just as long, if not longer. Who knows? Since I took Friday off, it doesn't really impact me a whole lot. But it does my wife, since she has to go to the city.

Let's hope something more positive happens. Fingers-crossed.

Author would like to acknowledge Disney Pixar for the use of the photograph in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment