Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

My Boy and I

Red
The wife was out on a conference, and James and I were alone for the next few days. Being a lazy Sunday, we didn't have anything much planned. After mass, we grabbed something to eat, then did the groceries. Normally, on weekends, I would go to the Filipino grocery store, Island Pacific, in Union City, to shop for the ingredients I would need to prepare the week's meals. Since it was only the 2 of us, I didn't feel like cooking. It was more practical to either eat out or order food to-go.

Since James was practically at home most days, I also had to think about his lunch. Somehow, this week, he had a craving for pastrami sandwich. And he didn't mind having it everyday -- even twice a day. So number one on our grocery list were 2 pounds of pastrami. He chose his bread and picked his choice of mustard. With a few more essentials in the cart, off we went.

Red 2
Weather was hot, and the temperature inside the house was just a tad cooler. But still hot. Since we had no airconditioning, we had to make do with the ceiling fan in the dining room. We opened the door leading to the backyard so the air could circulate. It helped, but it was still a bit warm.

The night before, I received a message from a friend of mine from back home, whose husband recently had surgery. The husband was a drinking buddy of mine, and both of them were my co-workers some 20-plus years ago. The husband had complications due to diabetes and had to have surgery on his right leg. As much as she didn't want to, the wife sought some financial help because they'd maxed out on their health card coverage. So when we go back from the grocery store, I went online and had money sent to her.

The Social Network
Before dinner, James and I were debating whether or not we should watch a movie. There weren't too many good movies to choose from. Our only choice was Red 2. I suggested that we probably should watch Red (the first one) first so we knew who the characters were and understood the circumstances leading up to Red 2. The first movie wasn't available On Demand (with AT&T u-verse). We tried Red Box, and it wasn't available anywhere either. I guess everyone had the same idea and opted to watch the first movie before screening the second. Without Red, we opted for The Social Network -- the story behind Facebook. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't Oscar material. It was a sleeper, if you'd ask me.

By the time we were done, it was past our bedtime. Off to bed, as Monday was almost upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment