Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

I Need A (Tech) Refresh

Over the past couple of days, it was my schedule to pick up the boys at Bell. I stuck to my original schedule and that seemed to work pretty well. On Tuesday, I got there just after 4:30pm, but was caught off guard when one of the boys was at a freshman basketball conditioning session than ran till 5pm. So, I patiently waited till all 3 boys hopped in the car for the ride home. Other than that, it was an uneventful 2 days.

Yesterday, I finally got a response that I had been waiting for. Let me explain. I think my laptop is 3 years old or so, and it was time to change it. It's called Tech Refresh, and, today, the folks in IT had the unenviable task of transferring all my files from one laptop to another. For this process, they've sort of reduced the downtime of employees, like me, by performing the data transfers remotely. This meant I didn't have to go off lline and physically hand over my laptop before they can make any transfer. Well, that's good news for me because, in the past, down times normally go as long as 4-5 hours, and that's something I could not afford. About 95% of my work is on the computer. With a 4-5 hour downtime, I might as well go home.

The IT guy called on schedule, and asked me to send him a screenshot of my network drives, as well as printer network connections. Based on the schedule given to me, the transfer would be completed within a few hours, and that I would have a brand new laptop installed by 4pm. That didn't happen.

When I logged off for the day, I have not heard back from the IT guy. Since I was off the next day, I didn't know how my tech refresh would be completed. My guess is that the exchange will take place when I get back on Monday. I just hope the transfer went flawlessly, and that I wouldn't have any downtime or issues.

We shall see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment