Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mid Week Check-in

End of the hump day. A couple more days before the weekend. Nothing interesting during the first half of the week. I hope the second would be more fun. But who knows?

Since we drove back from Sacramento for the Boys Power League qualifiers on Sunday, I decided to take Monday off. Whether or not I was exhausted (driving can be tiring), I had planned on taking the following day of whenever we come from a tournament. Last year, I remember one Saturday, somewhere in charming Sacramento, when we ended up playing till almost 8pm, and we didn't get home till about 11pm. We had to take a side trip to Lodi to grab a quick bite before heading home. It was a good thing it was a Saturday, and had Sunday to rest and detox. I learned from that experience, so now I am prepared.

On Monday, Jake was also off from Bell. Don't know why, but it was good for him as well. It also meant that I didn't have to drive to Bell and pick up the boys. No school.  Monday is one of my 2 pick up days you know. That evening, I skipped our SBARA board of directors' meeting because I had to run an errand with Jake.

A few weeks ago, there was this high school kid (well, he said he was) who knocked at our front door and was soliciting to help him get through college. All I needed to do was to subscribe to the Mercury News for at least 6 weeks, and this would qualify him to earn whatever points he needed. And this translated to something that will help him get through college. Normally, I shut these types off even before they can put a word in. But I guess that evening, I was in a good mood to hear him out. If it was legit, I surely wanted to help in whatever way I can. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't want to be shut off either. With all the scammers around town, it's hard to trust and figure out who's legit or not.

Anyway, my 6 weeks or so of subscription neared, so I called it in to terminate my service. I didn't want to miss the cutoff date and be charged another full month for it. Of course, the lady on the other end who took my call wanted me to continue on with my service by offering me a better deal. I just had to be honest with her and said that all I did was to help this young man, and that the time frame he gave me was over. Honestly, I never opened any newspaper that was delivered to my home or logged in to access the Mercury News online. I got my news elsewhere. Certainly not from the Merc. This was probably the most significant thing I did on Tuesday.

Today, first order of the day was our 2-hour staff meeting. Great way to start the hump day. I'm not complaining, but it is what it is. It can be interesting, boring, and sometimes, contentious. This morning's meeting was quite insignificant. Also today was another pick up day. I've set a regular pattern, but I'm still clueless as to what to expect of the traffic on 880, going to Bell. For the most part, it had been good and flowing quite well. And today was one of those days. From Bell, I dropped of Coby at SCU for his tennis session, then Nick at his house.

As in past Wednesday nights, a few SBARA members would "meet" on 40m (around 7.175.25 MHz) for a little ragchew. Al (WT6K) and I started it, and have invited others to join in. However, lately, with other commitments conflicting with this schedule, there hasn't been a meet-up. And tonight was not any different. Hopefully, we could get this started again, with more stations joining in.

What does the second half of the week hold? Aside from the frosh-soph mixer at Bell on Friday, of which I am the designated chauffeur, and Jakes' club volleyball practices on Saturday and Sunday, I don't know what else to expect. We shall see.....

Note:  Author wishes to acknowledge The Mercury News for the use of the logo in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment