Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

After 1.5 Years


It finally came. After 1.5 years, here at last.

Today at our weekly staff meeting, my boss brought in 2 boxes of baked goodies from Merritt, one of Oakland's finest bakeries. Any time food is served at our staff meetings it means that there is some sort of celebration. I wasn't aware of any occasion or cause for celebrating. And my birthday was 2 weeks ago. As my boss laid down the treats on the table, she began to say that "this was long overdue", as she started pulling out a long, thin rectangular box. I knew that it was mine.

Finally, after waiting for 1.5 years, my 5-year service award has arrived. In that box was a certificate and a small token -- a pin, recognizing my "5 years of dedicated service".

Over the past year-and-a-half, I quietly sat at a few staff meetings and gatherings as some of my peers and colleagues received their service awards on time, if not a couple of months after. Each time I would ask myself when I would receive mine. As the days past, I get frustrated, then irritated. Why was it taking so long? I've complained numerous times, but nothing.  There was even a time when I just had to make a sarcastic comment to get my feelings across. Then it came to a point that I forgot all about it, and didn't care anymore.

For an award to be effective, the recognition should be quick, if not immediate. Doing so 1.5 years after becomes meaningless. It defeats the purpose.

When I finally got it this morning, I sort of laughed. I wanted to dish out a one-liner, but it wasn't worth it. Frankly, I never thought that I would see this award in this lifetime. I didn't care what the reason was for the delay. To not say anything about it for 1.5 years was just unacceptable. I wasn't after the award or the pin or any other material gesture. What matters the most is the acknowledgement made in a timely manner.

Whatever the next 5 years bring, I hope it won't be late.

No comments:

Post a Comment