Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Meeting Wednesday

Wednesday. Aside from being the middle of the week, it's also the day when I have a regular staff meeting. It's 2 hours long and I'm lucky if we end early. For the most part, we almost always go the distance. The meeting is set smack in the middle of the morning, from 9-11, and it basically eats up half my day. I barely have time to finish my breakfast (whatever it is) before I have to go. And the coffee I have is consumed during the meeting. When I get back and settle down, it's lunch time.

The day changes from bad to worse when there are multiple meetings scheduled, like TODAY. At noon, I had to listen in on an all-hands meeting presented by the company's Chief Information Officer (CIO) regarding the state of IT within the organization, as well as the plans for 2013, and beyond. That lasted for 1.5 hours. Fortunately, I was able to eat my lunch while the call was going on. It all worked out well.

With 30 minutes to spare before the next one, I did what I had to do -- answer nature's call. (Sigh) Then, it was seven floors up for my next meeting with the new VP of HR for the IT group, which I support. It was a demonstration on the use of a compensation system and a discussion of the ongoing performance review process. Immediately after was my third meeting for the day. It was regarding the system set up for a newly-created bargaining unit (aka union) within IT, with me as the SME (subject matter expert) for compensation.

When that was over, I just had under an hour to catch up and get any work done. Ridiculous!!! Next thing I knew, I had to get out of there to pick up my boy.

I hate meetings. It's the most unproductive time you can ever spend on. About 20 years ago, I conducted a series of training sessions, for the company I worked for then, on conducting efficient meetings and how they can be time-wasters if you come unprepared. I know of people who just love them, and would gladly set up time to meet, no matter what it is about or even if it can be resolve by a quick phone call. Not me.

So, days like today just doesn't work for me. Boo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment