Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Kentucky Bourbon French Toast @ Nonni's


Last Saturday, we went back to Nonni's in Pleasanton for brunch. We had a late start so we had to wait. Thirty minutes at least. Fortunately, there was a break in the cold weather from the previous days. I patiently waited outside as I watched cars go by down Main Street.

I had a not-so-happy experience with the dish I chose the last time I was here, so I looked for something more appetizing. That morning, I felt like having french toast. From a choice of 3, one stood out. I got the Kentucky Bourbon French Toast.

This dish had 2 slices of french toast about 3/4 inch thick, topped with slices of banana and pecans, and drizzled with bourbon sauce. Visually, it looked decadent. But I was a little bit disappointed at the toasts itself. They were a little bit dry for my taste. Quite different from what I'm used to, like Left Bank's. It seemed like they were not dipped in a custard mixture long enough to absorb all the liquid goodness before they were fried (or seared).

The bananas and pecans were a good combination, and the bourbon sauce was OK. But I was expecting something richer and more flavorful. And I could have used a little more. Maybe a couple of shakes of confectioner's sugar won't hurt either. But that's just me.

Overall, not a bad dish. Certainly better than the Huevos Rancheros I had previously. Two slices were more than enough for me (I only ate one). And couple of Mimosas and a few cups of coffee complimented the meal.

Did I say the dish looked pretty, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment