Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Introduction to Road Cycling

When I woke up this morning, I was so excited and scared at the same time. Today was my class on introduction to road cycling. Yikes!!! I was scared because I have not ridden a road bike before, ever. The larger bike frame, skinnier tires, and hunched riding position just seemed to make things all the more freaky. The only two things going for me are, one, I do know how to ride a bike, and, two, I have fallen off a bike of similar height a couple of times in the past. 

From the REI website, the class was full with 12 participants. However, only 11 showed up. Meeting place was the Beard Staging Area, off Beard Avenue in Fremont, which led to the Alameda Creek TrailThat trail was where we would put to good use whatever we would learn from the class. Since I have never set foot on this trail before (I've never even heard of it either), my apprehension had just quadrupled. 



I arrived earlier, as suggested, so I can acclimatize to this new surrounding. And it did help me calm my nerves. The temperature was chilly. I came in the mandatory cycling shorts, and had 3 layers for my top -- a shirt, a sweater, and a  windbreaker. A pair of leg warmers would have been good, too. 

The 3 instructors had varied riding experiences, and they shared some of them in the class. Each participant was given a helmet and a road bike fit to their size. The instructors proceeded to discuss the whats, whys, hows, and even the whens of road cycling. We were also given opportunities to practice some of the riding techniques as we circled the staging area.


Armed with almost everything we needed to know, we were off to the trail. It was then that I realized that I had a lot of things I needed to work on, foremost of which is to lose weight -- more weight. Trying to key up with the pack was a task in itself. What killed me were the climbs (or the ascending roads). If you didn't use the gears correctly and in a timely manner, you will have a hard time climbing. In my case, I had to stop and walk.


Somewhere along the trail, we stopped by picnic tables and had a quick lunch. Then, off we went again. The next leg was a bit longer and had more climbs. So I guess you know what I did. In our next stop, we talked about the dos and don'ts of riding on the road and how to navigate through traffic. Immediately after that, we got off the trail and went on the road, headed back to the staging area.


Since it was a Sunday, traffic was relatively light. Despite the guidance from our instructors, I've never been more scared in my life. This was the real thing. I was ON THE ROAD !!! By then, I was sooooo exhausted that I wanted to leave the bike on the curb and hitch a ride back. But I had to endure and ride on. After walking up the stretch of overpass along Paseo Padre in Ardenwood, I mustered enough energy to pedal my way back to the staging area.

As we wound down, the instructors talked about one of the most important things to know about road cycling -- how to change a flat. After a quick demonstration and having completed an evaluation, it was over. Finally!!! I wobbled back to the car, and drove off. 


On the way home, I seriously thought about this whole road cycling thing and debated whether or not this is something I can do long term. I know that I cannot base my decision solely on ONE ride. But if I am going to make an investment on a bike, gear, and apparel, then there shouldn't be any doubt.


For now, I will rest my sore you-know-what, then decide. Ouch!


No comments:

Post a Comment