Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Shopping for Shorts


I took the day off today because my son was off from school. It's a good break for me, too, so I can get some chores done. I have a hundred and one things I want to do, but the day was not long enough. For this day, my primary task was to shop for bicycle shorts. Huh???

Over the last few months, I have had a sudden interest (or fascination) in cycling. I've been reading a lot about riding, in general. I learned that there are various rides one can choose from, and each one has a specific kind of bike. I knew I wouldn't be doing any mountain biking or anything offroad. I would most likely be on the road 99% of the time. Even on roads, there are a few options, too. There are hybrids, commuters, and, of course, ROAD bikes. I have not figured out what kind of riding I would want to do until recently.

My primary purpose for riding is for health reasons. Exercise -- cardio, endurance, weight loss, etc. I don't plan on racing, but maybe, get to the point that I can participate in long distance or century rides (ex. 100 miles). That's going to take a (long) while. Obviously, the ride I have chosen is a road bike. Some may argue that I can achieve my goal with a "less complicated" or a "more forgiving" bicycle, such as a hybrid or commuter bike (or even a mountain bike), whose handle bars are upright. A road bike's handle bar is curled down, like a ram's horns. And posture is more bent forward. But then, you're not a road cyclist.....(who cares?).

I haven't ridden a road bike, ever. So this is exciting and scary at the same time. The last time I rode a bike was in Santa Barbara, summer of last year. It was a memorable one. I rode cruiser with a foot brake (reverse pedal to brake). Memorable because I fell off the bike as I was dismounting. Not a pretty sight. And before that ride, it must have been over 20 years. I must be crazy to even want to get on a road bike. But, hey, I've got to try it.

A friend of mine, who was also getting serious about road cycling, recommended a road cycling class for beginners. It is a six-hour class, conducted by REI. At first, I was hesitant, and thought that I could learn on my own. When I read the class details and what would be covered, I realized that there are lots of things I do not know and that I would certainly benefit from it. So, I signed up. REI will be providing almost everything, including a road bike and helmet. The only things they required each participant was to bring water and packed lunch, and to wear cycling shorts. Since the class is on Sunday, today was the best day to get a pair.

With my son in tow, we first went to REI to see what they had. Well, they didn't have much. And I knew nothing about riding apparel -- what's good or bad, as far as brand, style, material, etc was concenred. I was at a lost. The sales person that assisted me didn't know much either and wasn't any help. I was on my own. After trying out a few shorts, and some jerseys as well, I finally decided on a pair of black ones and a matching black top.

From REI, we went to our local bicycle shop, Bicycle Garage. A more knowledgeable rep (I think he's a co-owner of the shop) helped me with the appropriate clothing. During a prior visit, he was the same person who educated me on the different types of bikes available for the kind of riding I want to do. So he recognized me when I walked in. With his help, my shopping experience was much better (and faster). After a quick fit, I was on my way out with a pair of better-fitting (and better quality) and cheaper shorts. Now, I have to go back to REI and return what I bought.

There is more to learn about road cycling than just buying the appropriate pair of shorts. I will save that for a later post. For now, I am happy with my shorts, and I look forward to my class on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment