Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

FFF: Friday Food (Truck) Festival

The phenomena that is the food truck has been around for quite some time now. For a while, it looked like it was one of those fads that people were crazy about for a few years, but eventually would fold and disappear as a memory of the 21st century. So far, it has remained one of the most copied business model that I can remember. Of course, I bet there have been less successful ventures, but for the most part, it looks like they'll be around for quite some time.

My first real exposure to the food truck scene was at a food event in Oakland some 3-4 years ago. From then on, it was an annual event that I always look forward to. Prior to this, my very first food truck experience was a traditional taco truck. It was located just a couple of blocks from where we lived in the Irvington district in Fremont. As a matter of fact, this truck is still in the same spot when I first tried it back in early 2000.

The name of the taco truck is La Perla, and they serve authentic Mexican tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. And they are dirt cheap, too. From time to time, I would pass by whenever I crave for quick, authentic Mexican fare, and I'm never disappointed.

Food trucks are now everywhere. In San Francisco, they've dedicated a specific location where a variety of food trucks would converge to serve the hungry masses. People follow their favorites on Tweeter and Facebook, so they know where they are at any given time. They are restaurants on wheels, except that you don't have a specific place to sit and dine, and there is no wait service. And like any restaurant, there are really good ones, and really (really) bad ones.

In my own town of Fremont, I discovered that there is also a central location where food trucks come to serve their fare. On Fridays, a portion of State Street, near City Hall, is closed to vehicular traffic in order to accommodate the 10 or so food trucks parked on both sides of the street. Patrons would come and park their cars on the adjacent streets or at the nearby commercial complex. They would bring with them their own tables and chairs (ala picnic), and put them up on the sidewalk or by the side of the road, so they can enjoy their meal. Service is from 4:30 to 9:00pm, and there is music and some games for everyone to enjoy.

I have not tried any of the food trucks when I saw them on Friday. James and I came from nearby Sala Thai restaurant (around the corner) and already had dinner when we met up with friends who were having their dinner at the food truck site. None of the trucks really caught my eye. I guess I just wasn't paying too much attention. But I would want to try them one of these Fridays before the weather gets colder.

No comments:

Post a Comment