Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prepping For The Big Day

School is about a week away, and my son is still bumming around. Well, he doesn't go out of the house except to ride his bike in the afternoon, but he has not been doing anything to prepare for the rudiments of high school life. I've warned him numerous times that high school is TOTALLY different from St. Joseph (his elementary school), so he should not take things lightly. He always reassures me that he understands what I am saying and will be OK. I hope he is right.

Since it is the last week prior to the start of school, I've asked him to prep himself a bit by trying to train his brain to be off summer mode, and be ready to take in things he's never heard before. One of the first things that came to my mind was Algebra. Since I had no idea what textbook he would be using at Bell, I thought of Khan, as in Khan Academy. Since he spends most of his day online and on Youtube, this would be perfect -- watching and learning at the same time.


Beginning yesterday, he had started watching the learning videos on Algebra from Khan Academy. He even worked on the exercises from the videos. If you have not seen it, these learning videos are fairly short, no more than 9 or 10 minutes each, and each is focused on a specific topic. And each topic may have multiple videos around the same discussion, as well as exercises. It surely is a good learning tool because it makes use of a user-friendly medium -- video.

So far, my son has enjoyed it and has found it very interesting, and useful, to say the least. I just hope he continues on.

Aside from Khan, I've also asked him to begin sleeping early. Since his graduation, he has always stayed up late, and would wake up mid morning. Sometimes, almost noon. Part of preparing for school next week, he has begun sleeping earlier that he used to, but not early enough as I want to. Yesterday, he hit the sack at 11pm. But over the next few days, I want him to get used to sleeping no later than 10pm, and waking up by 7am. When school starts, he will have to wake up by 6am, and out the house by 7am.

One week may not seem enough time, but we'll have to make do with it. Otherwise, he'll have a hard time adjusting. Fingers-crossed.

Note: Author wishes to acknowledge Khan Academy for the use of the video on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment