Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

All Boarded Up

As I called it a day, I did my usual trek to the BART station. I noticed the glass facades of all the banks around the station were all boarded up, with signs saying they're open for business. Overhead, TV news choppers hovered to get a bird's eye view of what's to come. Then, I remembered from this morning's radio broadcast that today is the first anniversary of Occupy Oakland.

When I started this blog, one of the rules I made for myself was NOT to talk about politics, religion, or any other controversial topic that may unnecessarily agitate, irritate, or instigate. Occupy Oakland certainly falls under this category.

These "occupiers" have a mission, but I don't necessarily share the same. That's the most I will say. No matter what their belief is, legit or otherwise, I will respect that. What I do not understand is why they need to resort to violence and destruction. Even it is part of their creed, such acts are never justifiable.

At the height of Occupy Oakland's activities last year, terror reigned in downtown Oakland. Properties were vandalized, businesses closed early, and residents stayed indoors. Offices even had to send their employees home early. The streets around City Hall were filled with police in riot gear, ready for any eventuality. It was just chaos all over, reminiscent of the riots in Los Angeles many years back.

As I lounged in my coach after a long day, the thought of any protest march from "occupiers" had totally escaped my mind.The local news stations didn't flash updates of any activity either. I guess everyone was preoccupied with other more important things, like watching game 2 of the World Series. Besides, the San Francisco Giants was playing. And that was worth watching than a bunch of troublemakers and hooligans.


No comments:

Post a Comment