Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Open House at Bellarmine

On Sunday, Bellarmine College Preparatory had its open house. As expected, there were lots and lots of people.

In the morning, I told my son to dress appropriately. This meant no shorts and no shirt without a collar. First impressions count. It's always better to be overdressed than under-dressed, as my wife would put it. We're old school so you can't blame us.

On our way, I was a little concerned about parking. From the information that I've gathered, there are typically 1,000 to 1,200 freshman applicants each year. If about half of those showed up, we're talking of at least 500-600 cars converging on campus. And we're not even counting the 7th graders who may want to join in the mix.

When we got there, everything was in order. No bottlenecks. No traffic jams. Volunteer students were scattered outside the campus directing where to go. Should I be surprised? Initially, yes. But I remembered that this IS a fine Jesuit institution.

Would-be freshmen and their families were herded off in a huge hall for some refreshments, then to the theater for some welcome remarks from the school president and the principal. What followed was a tour of the sprawling campus. There was an option to go on a self-guided tour, but we chose to be showed around by student ambassadors.

The Bellarmine campus sits amid a mostly residential (and some commercial) area in San Jose. As we navigated through the property, we were introduced to some of the newest and most modern facilities you'd ever find in a high school learning institution. With very generous benefactors, it shouldn't be a shock. There are older buildings, too, and they've managed to give them a little facelift to keep up with the modern times, but still maintain that historic look and feel.

As we walked around, I can't help but reminisce about my own experience at Ateneo (my Jesuit school in Manila). We, too, had a huge, sprawling campus, which was probably 5 times (or more) larger than Bellarmine. Each time we returned from summer vacation, there was always something new on campus, whether it was a building or even just a fresh coat of paint. And I can feel (and see) the same at Bell.

I admit my bias for the Jesuits, having been educated by these men for 12 years. They've been in the business of education young men for over 150 years. Whether it is in Manila, San Jose, or anywhere else in the world, a Jesuit education is the same allover. To me, they're simply the best. As a parent, I want nothing but the best for my son. I want him to have the same Jesuit experience I had growing up.

As we left campus, I felt confident that my son will carry on the Jesuit tradition. Now, all he needs to do is to get in.

Author's Note: Bellarmine College Preparatory is located at 960 West Hedding Street, San Jose, CA 95126.


No comments:

Post a Comment