Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Game 3 and Mexican Buffalo Wings

Saturday is one of my favorite days because I get a chance to sleep in. Today wasn't all that bad since most of the planned activities were after lunch. I had lots of time in the morning to go online and do a few things here and there.

We had lunch at our favorite Korean restaurant tucked away in an isolated, nondescript section of a commercial complex off Fremont Boulevard. This was followed by my son's basketball scrimmage against a team of similar-aged kids who play in what is loosely called "Asian League."

That same afternoon, my son, along with 3 of his classmates, who happened to be his teammates as well, had to complete a school project that was due Monday. So under the watchful eyes of one of the dads, all four hied  off to complete the task.

Meanwhile, my wife and I didn't exactly know what to do or where to go. One thing was sure though. We wanted to watch game #3 of the World Series. But first, we took a quick trip to Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton for a little shopping (she did, not me).

Now the dilemma. Where do we watch the game?

We tried our luck at The Cheesecake Factory (cheesecake what????) at Stoneridge. Unfortunately, there was no open spot. Besides, they only had a tieenee-weenee TV by the bar (I almost didn't find it). Being not from the area, we didn't know of any sports bar that was close by. Yelp directed me to a couple of places in Dublin, but we weren't really in the mood to drive further out.

We decided to try our luck in Fremont. We rattled off a few options and assessed our chances on getting a table. BJ's had tons of TV all around, but it might be packed. City Beach was decent, with ample TV and not-so-bad food, but didn't have a good ambiance (that's important you know). Then there's Elephant Bar, with limited viewing around the bar (which may also be super packed).

What about La Pinata??????

Heck, why not. So, off we went.

To my surprise, the place wasn't crowded, They had a TV good enough for sitting around the bar. Our table was close enough to follow the action, without necessarily being at the bar. The beverage of choice was a pitcher of margarita, but it took awhile for us to decide on a "bar chow." Eventually, it was nachos with carnitas. Yum!!! But I had a craving for buffalo wings. Scanning the menu, I found it. Buffalo Wings!!!!

Mexican buffalo wings??? Huh?

At first, I was hesitant. I didn't know what to expect. I never imagined a Mexican restaurant offering buffalo wings. I took my chances and ordered it. What came was a bunch of fried chicken wings, with buffalo sauce and ranch dressing (not blue cheese) on the side, neatly arranged over a couple of lettuce leaves. And there were no celery sticks either. But it wasn't bad. Really! The chicken itself was well-seasoned, and this helped enhance the flavor.

So, if you have such a craving, check out your nearest taqueria. You'll never know.


No comments:

Post a Comment