Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Line Up

When I was old enough to follow a command from anyone other than my parents, one of the first instructions I learned was "line up!" I think I was in nursery school then (back in the days, it wasn't called pre-kindergaten). I would fall in line by following behind the person who was smaller than me (or was I in front of the line?).

Every time we entered the classroom or prepared to receive a treat, my teacher made sure we were as straight as an arrow, from smallest to tallest. It's one of those things that has become second nature if you needed to get something done quickly, peacefully. It is, in  fact, a way to maintain order in an otherwise chaotic situation.

It's funny how this simple command is easily forgotten, whether unknowingly or intentionally. What's interesting is that kids are not the culprits. It's the adults!!! I would understand if a child would need to be reminded from time to time, but for an adult, it's unforgivable.

I commute to work everyday, and I take BART. One morning, as I was waiting in line for the Richmond train to arrive at the Fremont station, an elderly man walks past us and proceeds to the front of the line to begin a new line from the other direction. I have noticed him doing it for the past few days, so I called his attention.

He argued that having 2 lines is a "common" practice at all BART stations, so his doing so should not be an issue. I replied that, unlike other stations that require passengers to board & off-board the train as  quickly as possible because of timed stops, we were boarding from the beginning of the line, and that the train was in no rush to depart. So, this fellow could have patiently waited at the end of our line, and be able to board, with enough time to spare to make a quick dash to the bathroom and back. Excuses.

And this guy doesn't stop there. We both got off at the 19th Street station in Oakland, and there was a line going up the stairs. True to form, this person bypasses the line and starts running up the stairs as he pushes head-on with passengers coming down. Occasionally, he would squeeze back in line if unable to move forward, then dart back out to continue his climb. Unbelievable!!!

There is a reason why we fall in line. There is a reason why we're taught this at an early age. Unfortunately, some people have aged but have not learned. Or they simply just don't want to. What makes me scratch my head is you'd often see these individuals in ties and business suits, that you would think they're educated enough to know better. But then again, I probably have the wrong assumption.

"Hey, buddy! The line is over here."

No comments:

Post a Comment