Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Espetus: The Day After

My displeasure from my meat-ravaganza on Friday haunted me the next day. I was requested to take photographs at the parish's Simbang Gabi (Dawn Mass) festivities on Saturday at 6:00 in the morning. So I hit the sack a little bit earlier than I normally would on a weekend.

At around 3:00 am, I felt queezy. The next thing I knew, I was headed for the bathroom and was throwing up. I didn't know what hit me. I've never had this feeling before, ever. The last time something similar happened was when I had one too many Johnnie Walkers more than 20 years ago.

I had a bad feeling after that, but I didn't want to disappoint. I had a commitment to fulfill, and if I can muster enough energy to get through the day, I will complete the task at hand. I woke up my son and prepared for the day. We were on the road by 5:10 am.

There was a storm and rain was pouring hard. And it was darn COLD. 39F. My son got off as he needed to prepare to altar serve, while I sat in the car. I planned on going into the Old Mission church at 5:45 to prepare my gear before the mass started. Suddenly, that queezy feeling came back, and I knew what was to happen next. I got out of the car, dashed inside the parish hall and into the bathroom, and discharged. Darn!!! Strike 2.

I composed myself. Asked around for a hard candy to suck on, then off I went to the Old Mission. I did what I came to do. I managed to get some photographs as the mass progressed. During the homily, Mr. Queezy sneaked up on me again. By then, I was already exiting the side door. Then, bam!!! Strike 3.

Like baseball, 3 strikes meant I had to go.... HOME. I texted the wife and told her my situation. I went back in the church, packed up my gear and headed to the hall. I had to wait for the mass to end and for either my son or wife to come out so they could get my son's backpack in my car. As soon as they did, I left.

For the rest of the day, I was out, asleep, and had nothing to eat. Whatever bug hit me was so bad because I've never had this feeling before in my life. And that's a bit scary.

So, if you'd ask me again if Espetus is worth all the meat?

(SILENCE. Poker face.)

I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment