Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Where The Heck Is Peet?


Yesterday, we had our 5th club volleyball tournament in small town, Florin, just south of Sacramento. Call time was 7:45am. Left the house at 6:00, but we still had to go get coffee. We were expecting a storm all the way up to Sacramento, and it poured as we hit the road. My concern, obviously, was the slower travel time because of the rain, and whether we would get there on time.

Off we went to the only Peet's Coffee & Tea in Fremont on Paseo Padre Parkway. I was surprised there were no cars. I thought it was just too early for coffee for a Sunday. Then, the unimaginable. They were closed, and won't open till 6:30. I knew it was going to be a long, tough drive to Florin without caffeine.

Starbucks could have been an alternative for others, but not me. At least, not that morning. Don't even ask my wife. My taste buds have gotten so used to the Peet's brew that all others seem watered-down. I take my coffee black so you could imagine how that tastes. It will surely make any chest hair rise.

We managed to get through the storm and arrive at Florin without a cup of Joe. But as soon as we dropped off our son at the tournament site, off we went to find the nearest Peet's. It was in Elk Grove, about 5.5 miles from where we were. The sky became dark and there was a sudden downpour. Visibility was bad, but it didn't deter us from getting to where we needed to go. Somehow our GPS directed us through back roads and all through the town. After zigzagging the main drag to avoid potholes and puddles, we finally saw it, tucked at a little corner of a small commercial complex.

With all the driving and waiting, I deserved more than a medium black coffee. I rewarded myself with a Mocha. There was hardly anyone in the store so we got our coffees pretty fast. I couldn't imagine anyone being out in a storm just to hang out at a coffee shop, except for us. We found out from the barista that it was the only Peet's in Elk Grove. How lucky can we be??? And as an added bonus, he even showed us how to get back to the tournament venue faster via the freeway.

With our coffees in hand, we headed back to Florin High School for another long day of boys volleyball. What happened that day .... in a separate post. Argh !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment