Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Regular (Father's) Day

Today we celebrated Father's Day. Unlike Mother's Day, our day was a little low key, at least for me. I'm really not into these kinds of celebration. To me, everyday is special and something worth thanking for, and I don't need a separate day to thank my wife, mother, or father, or even my grandmother or grandfather. But that's just me.

I think the only one benefiting from all these special days are businesses -- flower shops, retail shops, restaurants, and the like. It's a good reason for them to jack up their prices, offer special discounts to lure in more shoppers, or make you wait for a table. But it's all good. It's how our society chooses to behave.

On occasions like these, we typically find a good place to eat -- somewhere we don't go often. For today, I really didn't make any plans. I know I have been craving for a good steak, but I just do not want to join in the chaos and pandemonium that this day brings. We tried calling some of the local steak houses around town, but none of them were open except for dinner. So that was easy. In the end, we settled for our favorite Chinese place in Palo Alto.

Earlier in the day, we heard mass at 11, and the priest gave all dads in attendance a special blessing.

I still crave for that steak. Now, I seriously have to plan for it. And I'm going outside my comfort zone -- San Francisco. What better place to enjoy a succulent, juicy steak than in the city. I'll let you know when that happens.

Author wants to acknowledge Happy Father's Day 2013 Clip Art Free for the illustration used in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment