Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Deja Vu: Yearend School Board Meeting

I prepared this post on the evening of, but decided not to post it just yet. It's not that I have written anything libelous, but it might  touch on some sensitivities, which may (or may not) result in unnecessary actions or reactions. It's human nature. I have learned to be political and patient at the same time, in order to maintain peace and not create any tension or aggravation. But frankly, I don't really care. Someone has to say something so others will know things are not always kosher. 

---------------------------------------------------

I attended my last St. Joseph school board meeting this evening. This meeting almost had the same result as last year's. Deja vu. But I'm glad it was over.

For the last year, I had been patient. Keeping mum. Trying to be respectful. I was curt. Direct. I am not the type that wants to hear myself talking. It's not my character. I spoke if I had something good or productive to say. But to simply speak for the sake of it, or to sound intelligent, nope! Not my style.

I tried introducing new measures -- to change the mind set. But I didn't get the support I had hoped. It was shot down and beset with preconditions. Change is the hardest thing that this board (and school) can accept. It refuses to. I don't know why. I'm not the only one who sees it. Most do, including those who are new to the school and community. Sometimes, you need to step back to see the whole picture.

I don't want to go into any details. The past is the past. No matter what I say or do, it won't bring back what has taken place. I don't even want to volunteer any suggestion or provide any comment, especially if those who mattered are not receptive -- to change. I don't want to waste their time, nor mine, ranting or providing constructive criticism that won't lead to anything productive.

But let me share these, and tell me what  you think.

We (the board) have a constitution and by-laws that govern our very existence. Yet, we select only those
that we wish to apply to ourselves. We are suppose to observe strict parliamentary  procedures. We require a formal declaration of motions to approve agendas and minutes of the meetings, but we cannot properly nominate and vote officers to the board. Each year we need new board members, but no one publicly tells the community that we do so. Is this board a secret society?

In the last meeting, we had 2 guests -- school parents. They witnessed how bad the election process was, and how we couldn't get our act together. Shameful, to say the least. The gentleman to my right had a blank stare (probably in disbelief), and left immediately after the meeting. And you're wondering why no parent attends our board meetings?

Last year, ITBS scores were amazing. We suggested posting the scores on the school's website, as a way of advertising the school. Then, we found out later that the idea was rejected by those who had authority. This year, there was a concern about low enrollment,, and everyone who had a comment or two were asking what could be done about this? Well, if the powers that be had acted on the suggestion from last year, then they probably wouldn't be asking that question.

Here's another. The school went through the rigorous process of re-accreditation from WCEA and WASC for another 6 years. And we got it. Another promotional opportunity that could be easily posted on the website. Did we??? Of course, we didn't !!! So, you're wondering why we have a low enrollment this year??? What's interesting is that the 2 nearby Catholic schools had also been re-accredited and they have boasted about it on their respective websites. I believe one of them has a full enrollment. Should I say more?

From what I understand, the school board is an advisory arm of the school. But at the end of the day, it is the school administrators who make the final call. And I'm OK with that. But what irritates me the most is the lack of accountability and seemingly strong resistance to change. We know what worked and didn't. Let's learn from it, take the necessary corrective actions, and move forward. That is the only way to succeed.

Would I go back next year, my last term? As I have said in the last meeting, I am undecided. And I will decide before the start of the next school year.

Fair enough?

By the way, I informed the appropriate authorities of my displeasure in last year's election proceedings. Did you think anything was done about it? Certainly not !!! Now, why would you think things will change???


No comments:

Post a Comment