Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

An SI Game As BART Struck

After days, if not weeks, of waiting and speculating, BART union workers, finally, decided to strike today. They've threatened to do so since the 60-day cooling-off period ended midnight October 9. Since then, commuters, who relied on BART as their means of transportation to and from work, had been on edge, waiting late every night for news on whether or not an agreement had been reached or if there would be a strike the next day.

I am a bit fortunate since my boss has allowed me to work from home in case of a BART strike. During the strike in the summer, I brought my laptop and worked from home for the duration of the strike -- 3 days. This second go-around, I had to bring my laptop home everyday since there was no certainty when the workers would strike. I had to be prepared. And if there was one thing I hated was to drag my laptop with me every single day. This thing weighs a ton, you know?

This morning, Jake went back to St. Joe, his third day, to finish his community service hours for Bell. All he needed was an hour, but he stayed on the entire morning, for an additional 4 hours. Since he had enough, he decided not to do extra hours at Kid's Club. Yesterday, he was concerned about how he would get home if he finished early. His only option was to walk home. Since I worked from home today, I was able to pick him up as classes were dismissed. From there, we had lunch.

Later in the day, we had planned on watching the Bell-St. Ignatius football game at SJCC. I was able to take a quick nap when we got back from lunch. At around 5:30pm, we picked up Nick and Justin at St. Joe, then headed to San Jose. Although the game wasn't till 7pm, I wasn't sure how traffic was so we left early.

As in previous trips, traffic wasn't bad, and we got their quite early. A bit too early since there were hardly any cars in the open parking lots and in the adjacent parking structure. My problem was where to park because there were so many to choose from. I settled for the parking structure.

Once inside, we got something to eat, then settled at our "usual" spot at the bleachers. Usual because it was where we've sat for the last couple of games we've watched. And it wasn't a bad spot either. For the most part, we'd find the same group of folks around us each time -- something like season seats, if there is anything like it. But you get what I mean.

Bell & SI players "taking a knee" for an injured player.
During the second half of the game, one of the SI players got injured and had to be taken out of the stadium by paramedics. He was alright though, as he gave two-thumbs up as he was being wheeled out on a stretcher. But what caught my attention was how players from both teams "took a knee" while the injured player was being attended to. I have seen this gesture at CYO games in middle school whenever a player gets injured. Unfortunately, I have never witnessed the same whenever non-Catholic school teams play. I guess its another Catholic thing???

The game was a rout, and the opponent wasn't even a threat. The Bells won, 42-28.

And in keeping with our tradition, Jake and I grabbed a late night treat at In-N-Out before we headed home. Next week, Valley Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment