Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Took The Plunge


Finally, I ordered my bike.

Not that I was having second thoughts. It was more about having the time to actually do it. Weekdays are impossible because I arrive home no earlier than 6pm, and, often, there are things that I need to do right after. Weekends are the best time. However, I had been busy during the past weekends with errands and other stuff with the family. But today was different. I actually was free to do what I needed to do. And for something like this, I want to take my time. Don't want to be rushed. I made sure that I had at least 2 hours of alone time. So, off I meant to my favorite bike shop, Bicycle Garage.

Fred (I think he is a co-owner) was so happy to see me, after more than a month. He was the person that shared with me almost everything I needed to know about road bikes and other related stuff. He was a salesman, and I do understand that he'd like to get as much business as he can from each of his customers, including me. I have done my own research, so I am not coming in blindly. Let's just say I am an informed consumer, but I also want to hear his perspective as a rider and a businessman.

I know what kind of bike I want, and we both talked about it during my prior visit. However, he offered me an upgrade model for a little more money. I had to think about it but I didn't jump on it quickly. In the end, I though we made a sweeter offer for less money. Yes, I did get an upgrade from what I originally wanted, but the additional cash was half of what I should have paid. He gave me a good discount.

He knew I was going to get other stuff from him, so at the back of his head, he knows that I am a guaranteed customer. We talked about shoes and clipless pedals -- two of the next most important things to consider and eventually add on. He discussed how important it is to get the right ones for the best results. Of course, all that equates to higher cost. In the end, I have to make the decisions. It's up to me whether I fall for the sales pitch or be convinced by it. As the saying goes, you get what you paid for. It has happened to me, so I understand where he's coming from.

There are essential items that a cyclist must have during a ride, such as a spare tube, tire levers, tube patches, and an inflation device (CO2 cartridge or a small pump), plus a small bag to carry them in. I got them, too. Then, I also added a floor pump (for the house), helmet, short-finger gloves, and a water bottle cage.

Aside from the must-haves, there are those that you'll need no matter what, such as apparel, like cycling shorts and/or bibs, jerseys, and jackets, which are particularly useful for early morning rides when the temperature is cold. And as it gets even colder, there are arm & leg covers, and wind-resistance gloves to consider. Also on my immediate list is a cycling computer and a pair multi-lens sunglasses. Then, I will need a headlight (or some light) if I plan to ride when it is dark.

Seems like it is becoming an expensive sport-hobby, but what isn't? Stamp-collecting or bird-watching? What's important is that I sustain this activity, especially because I know it will be good for my health and well-being. I just need to set my mind to it.

I'm picking up the bike on Saturday, and hope to take a quick spin this weekend. Fingers-crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment